Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Wrapping Up

My study abroad trip is just about over. I was reluctant to say the long and drawn out goodbyes to my homestay family and some of the students I had gotten to know so well through this experience. The last bit of my trip was spent in Sydney and Cairns, Australia. In Sydney, I was accompanied by some of the students in my program. The city was gorgeous and reminded me of America with the hussle and bussle I had been missing in Adelaide! While there, I was able to do the Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb, visit the Aquarium, tour the Sydney Opera House, as well as indulge in some of the best food I'd had on the whole trip. I was able to add a trip to Cairns onto my program in order to go scuba diving at the Great Barrier Reef all by myself. This trip was absolutely worth the extra money and made it even harder to leave Australia. I got to swim with tropical fish and snorkel along the reef. So breath-taking. Scuba diving was a bit scary in some ways (being so far under water with a weighted belt, only relying on a hose for air), but I learned from the underwater panic, followed by a self-controlled calm, that I can tackle anything and overcome fears. After these last two cities, I headed back to the U.S. I may have been dragging my feet to come home the whole time, but it was a great feeling to see the friends and family I hadn't seen in so long. I plan to keep in contact with all of the new Australian and American friends that I became so close to over the past month. I hope to some day return to Australia, but only after I have seen the rest of the world first. :)
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment